Tuesday 24 July 2012

Violence in Assam.

Assam has erupted again, after quite some time. this time its again the Bodo problem . As I watch the news and hear the plight of the passengers trapped in various trains at stations like Alipurduar, Coochbehar , Kamakhyaguri, New Jalpaiguri , dhupguri, Falakata etc. my heart goes out to them . Just imagine once the problems they are facing. Also the disruption of train services with the highway blockade means that the lifeline to North east are cut off.

My memory also takes me to the places mentioned above as I stayed for quite a longish period at North Bengal and started my service at SBI as a probationer in 1984 at their Alipurduar branch. from my secondhand experience of earlier Bodoland, ULFA and Gorkhaland agitations, i know how bad situations can turn during these period of strife and the suffering which people have to endure. It can not even be imagined from the confines of the happy happy existences at cities.

Particularly the Bodoland agitations are always violent and the ethnic rivalries are renewed in streams of blood and fire. One wonders why people become so violent and why they remain so much underdeveloped.Its a pity really because the entire Northeast is so beautiful.

Just pray that the situation becomes normal very fast. I base my assumption on the innate goodness of people rather than having any faith on the government or the political parties. Call me cynical but that's it .

No comments:

Post a Comment