Thursday 26 March 2020

Lock-down Musings 27032020


One of the worrisome factor to deal with during such self-quarantine is the effect it has on your health, not only physical but also mental. Because all said and done and in spite of what you may do, there are always those nagging doubts, suspicions, apprehensions, and anxieties that keep on visiting us at the subconscious level. For those who are older and not so young with certain diagnosed lifestyle diseases or other organ-related ailments, the necessity of remaining fit and fine is much more because of the attendant problems of logistics and medical help. Simply speaking, nobody can afford to fall ill for other reasons now, in addition to saving themselves from the COVID-19 virus.

Prolonged sitting on the couch or prone position on the bed will definitely worsen the back pain and general weakness. Boredom makes us look for the easy way out to beat it, i.e. by eating more which not only adds up to the weight but also creates acidity that spoils sleep. Therefore I urge that my friends should take care of their healths during this period. I am speaking from my experiences and not sermonising, Please also remember that I have no professional qualification or locus standi to act as an advisor for health, nutrition or fitness matters.

One of the steps that I have taken to de-stress myself is exercising twice-morning and evening, for about 30 minutes or more daily. These are simple ones. In fact, the practice of Surya Namaskar of 10-15 rounds in one go will generate a lot of sweat and loosen the limbs. Plus I am setting a very tough target of holding on to the plank position of 5 minutes by the end of this period. Presently, my performance is normal below two minutes for the first attempt and one and a half minutes for the next attempts. For everybody, at least two sets of 15 repetitions of freehand exercises, leg-rising, twisting, toe-touching and some physiotherapy like pushing the wall, low-intensity stretching, etc are necessary. Of course, depending upon the age and health factors. Some Jugaad ideas like filling two 2-liter bottles with water as dumb-bells and using a chair for squats will help. But remember, there's no need to overdo anything;  feeling comfortable should be the overall objective.

Another step I have taken is to do away with dinner and replace it with a soup of boiled vegetables and chicken, just one medium bowl, or a cup of Horlicks (thick). This helps to get a good sleep and feel less bloated. It also makes you rise early in the morning. But anybody skipping solid dinner must make plans in advance for the breakfast the next day as you will feel quite hungry in the morning. Otherwise too, it is better to cut down slightly on rice and bread as these are now the main staple available for many. 

I have also taken a conscious decision to not store alcohol at home. I am not too much of a drinker alone except the occasional beers on hot summer afternoons or a glass of Rum-pani on cold winter days. But it is better to do away with the temptation at the root itself, more so when alone and fallible. May sound a bit surprising to some friends but I swear on the Constitution, this is a fact. 

I would have loved to do away with smoking too, in this opportunity. Sadly, this only addiction proves to be strong enough for me to leave, till now. So I have brought two packs and cut all the cigarettes with a blade to half. Hopefully, this will limit the only personal bad habit I have.  
**************
Well, Murakami has floored me in the first reading. Obviously, the English translation will not retain the flavour. But it is definitely different and you can feel it. There is a distinct style of Asianness in his writing but the setting is modern. The book I am reading right now- Kafka On the Shore is written in the first-person narrative and has short sentences. which gives a sort of defined pattern to the story and leaves no loose ends.  But I've read only 79 pages till now. So let me complete and then, maybe I will search for more of him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment