Wednesday 5 August 2020

Bhishma and his severe vows

After Ganga departed from his life leaving their son Devabrata, King Santanu returned sorrowfully to his palace and immersed himself to the governance. He became respected widely for his wisdom, virtues, truthfulness and the qualities of self-control, liberality, forgiveness, intelligence, modesty and patience. As a monarch, he was the protector of the race of Bharat and all human beings.

The son, Devabrata grew up to resemble him in person, both in appearance and qualities. He acquired great skills in worldly and spiritual knowledge and was endowed with extraordinary strength and energy. Everyone was sanguine that he was destined to be a great king and worthy successor to Santanu. But fate had something else in store for him.

Like all kings, Santanu too was fond of Mrigaya (hunting deer) in the woods. One day, he had gone to woods on the bank of the Yamuna for such pastime. While rambling there, suddenly he felt a sweet scent in his nostrils. Curious about the source of such fragrance, he followed the trail and soon came upon a beautiful young maiden rowing a boat on the river. Santanu was struck by the beauty of this black-eyed damsel of enchanting fragrance and inquired her whereabouts.

She was Satyavati, the daughter of the fisherman chief. On Santanu’s wish, she took him to her father. There, the love-struck king proposed marriage with the girl to the chief. But the chief of the fishermen replied- 'O king, my daughter is born beautiful and it is understood that she would be bestowed to a worthy person of stature as wife. But I cherish a desire in my heart and if you wish to have my daughter as your wife, you have to pledge that you will fulfill it.”

"Hearing this, Santanu replied- “I can give my word only when I hear what you exactly want me to pledge. “   

The fisherman said- “O king, I want that the son born of my daughter be installed on your throne and none else to be your successor.”

Hearing this, Santanu was taken aback. As he felt no inclination to grant such a boon, he retreated, giving up all hopes to marry Satyavati. But the fire of passion consumed his virtuous soul and desire tore him from within. Thus smitten, he passed his time lacking the verve and energy. Noticing him forlorn and sad, Devabrata asked him the reason for it, but Santanu tried to evade the matter with some ruse. Being of great intelligence, his son realised that something was amiss. So, he went to the old minister and extracted the information about the cause of his father’s recent affliction. He decided to take matters on his own hands.

Accompanied by many Kshatriya chiefs of venerable age, Devabrata personally visited the chief of the fishermen and begged of him his daughter on behalf of the king. The man expressed his happiness at the proposal but once again repeated his desire that he did not want his daughter to be accorded a secondary status and would like to see her as the mother of the future king. He added that this was not possible as long as Devabrata remained in the way. 

Hearing the fisherman Devabrata addressed the assembled chiefs – “O learned and respected elders, I take this solemn vow before you all as witness. I shall accomplish all to fulfill what the fisherman chief demands. The son that may be born of this maiden shall be our king.”

The fisherman chief replied- “I praise you for your virtuous soul and accept your word of honour. But when you get married and your son is born, he will get precedence according to the custom, thereby creating difficulty in future for my desire to be fulfilled. O mighty prince, I have no doubts on you violating the promise made. But I have my doubts in respect of the children you may beget. “

Devabrata then calmly announced the assembly again – “ O chief of fishermen, listen to what I say in the presence of these assembled kings. All you chieftains have heard me. I have already relinquished my right to the throne, I shall now settle the matter of my children. O fisherman, from this day I adopt the vow of Brahmacharya (celibacy). If I die sonless, I shall yet attain to regions of perennial bliss in heaven. “

Upon these vows uttered by Devabrata, the son of Ganga, all were stunned. Even the celestial beings began to rain down flowers from their firmament. Devabrata then approached Satyavati and said- “O mother, ascend this chariot, and let us go to our house.”

Devabrata took Satyavati to Hastinapur and told his father about everything that had happened. All the chieftains and courtiers assembled were highly impressed with the severe vows he had taken. Jointly and individually, they applauded his extraordinary act and said-“He is really Bhishma (the terrible).”

Santanu too was gratified and moved by the moral courage of his son and bestowed upon his son the the boon of death at will, saying-“For the most severe vows that you have taken , I grant you the boon that death shall never come to you as long as you desire to live. Death will only occur when you command it on your own will.”

Santanu married Satyavati and had two sons. The Kuru dynasty flourished. Bhishma became the patriarch of the family and met his fate in the battle of Kurukshetra. His life is the biggest example of duty and renunciation cited till this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment