Saturday 25 August 2018

Poet's death

It was on the cards, waiting to hapoen . I mean, how couldn't it start . Maybe you have already come across such messages or may be you haven't. On facebook and in English or in vernacular languages other than Hindi it won't be too much of an irritation. But blessed are those who primarily use Hindi and Whatsapp as their favourite ways of expression in the social media. They are sure to be bombarded with this phenomenon , I'm sure.

I am speaking of the sudden interest in the poetic facet of late A B Vajpayee by many. Of course he was a fine poet. I myself believe that all poets are fine , including me. That is another issue altogether.

But what bothers me is the abundance of sundry poems and couplets in Hindi being passed off as poems by the late PM and people forwarding them . As usual, without compunction , conscience or even the need for a cursory check.  Yesterday I received such a message in a whatsapp group .  And the sender was in addition to being an intelligent person and a well to do banking professional , also an IIM alumnus. Can you believe that ?

But then , there is nothing to be surprised , after all with fake messages on social media. A time has reached when the whole social media will be seen as a web of lies.  And the best reaction when you point out such things are -

1. Oh, come on, don't be serious . It's just a forward . If you don't like it then delete it and forget it.
2. OK , he may not have written it but isn't it so deep ?
3. How do you know , it's not written by him ? It may not have been formally published.
4. How do you get so much time to check ?
5. Yes, it is not written by him . So what ? I believe it was written by him. Do you have any problem to that ?

No comments:

Post a Comment