Monday 25 June 2012

Emergency

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Arunangshu/300403703348537


On the 37th anniversary of that momentous milestone of Indian history - Declaration of #Emergency - How many of you remember it. I remember it vividly as a morning at Suri, an obscure town , HQ of Birbhum District, my Mother's place, when Ifound my Father agitated and excited about the event and fuming against Madam Indira Gandhi as the transistor radio was tuned to BBC all day to hear the Bengali, Hindi and English news over and over again which mentioned the declaration of Emergency briefly in its bulletins.

That was the day that I started interest in politics and its effect on our daily lives. Also later I became a lifelong fan of Loknayak Jayaprakash Narayan whom I still believe to be one of the greatest Indians. Time has passed since th
en and I have seen so much happening . But "Emergency period " remains a watershed in my life. As my life traversed it's path and ideology faded, I found dreams to die first. I am now a cynical middle aged person and look at poltics with disdain and a necessary evil. Now I can't decide if Emergency was right or wrong. I don't know what my reaction would be now if it is declared again but I cannot forget that summer day of 75 when my world was a different planet altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment